ID Cards for Spouses/Partners

Spouses/partners of Harvard students are not eligible for a regular university ID or library card. They can, however, get a Special Borrower Card for the Harvard College Library system for a $5 fee. This will allow them to use most of the university libraries, to borrow books and other materials (with some restrictions), and in some cases to gain free entrance to Harvard museums. In addition, they can store Crimson Cash (Harvard’s “electronic money”) on the card, and use it as an ID to enter the Smith Campus Center (formerly known as Holyoke Center) tower and other restricted Harvard buildings, as well as on the Harvard shuttle buses.

To get a Special Borrower Card, your spouse/partner must first visit the Library Privileges Office to the left of the entrance of Widener Library in Harvard Yard. S/he will need:

  • A photo ID
  • A photocopy of the Harvard affiliate's ID card
  • $5
  • If the you and your domestic partner/spouse have different last names, proof of marriage or shared residence (i.e. a marriage certificate, certificate of domestic partnership, lease with both names, government issued ID with same address as the student, etc.

After filling in the application and having a photograph taken at the library, s/he will need to go to the ID services office at the Smith Campus Center to pick up the card.

[The Gutman Library circulation desk can provide spouses with a Gutman-specific special borrowers card.  This card is much narrower in scope than the system-wide card described above.]