Diversity Innovation Fund
Recognizing that students have ideas for programs or activities that would enhance HGSE's attention to diversity, the Office of Student Affairs established the Diversity Innovation Fund (DIF) to support, with small grants, student-initiated ideas that broaden the conversation at HGSE and allow for more varied perspectives, experiences, and forums for exchange. This fund is available to HGSE students through a short proposal process.
Diversity Innovation Fund (DDIF)
Proposal Deadlines Academic Year 2019-2020
February 3, 2020
March 2, 2020
Diversity Innovation Fund Application Process and Proposal Guidelines
Proposals can be submitted once classes begin.
There are four submission deadlines each academic year. Please allow up to three weeks to receive a response to a proposal. Accordingly, the scheduling of your event should take this timeline into consideration.
Proposals should be no longer than three pages, and must include the following:
- A contact at HGSE, including email
- Detailed description of proposed program/activity, including: proposed date, time, location and expected attendance. All proposals must include a line item budget.
- Listing of individuals responsible for planning and implementation, highlighting relevant expertise and prior experience, if appropriate.
- Statement of purpose describing how and why this activity will broaden the conversation around diversity at HGSE.
- In the interest of broadening the conversation on diversity, proposals should clearly address how the project will engage students across programs and interests. Events must be widely publicized and open to the entire HGSE community. If space for an event is limited, at least half of the seats must be available to members of the HGSE community.
- Activities must clearly meet the goals identified in the HGSE Diversity Competencies and contribute to creating and sustaining organizations of equity that will lead to high quality learning for ALL students.
- Activities must be student-initiated and have an educational component. Events that are primarily social in nature will not be funded.
- In the spirit of the Fund's key emphasis on innovative programming and activities, priority will be given in the funding of new initiatives.
- Events must not have scheduling conflicts with other school-wide HGSE-sponsored events.
- Diversity Innovation Fund grants may not be used for honoraria. However, they can be used for travel costs for speakers.
- Diversity Innovation Fund grants may not be used for groceries, catering, or other food expenses.
- Diversity Innovation Fund grants may not be used as payment for student organizers.
- The average award ranges between $300 and $800. If the request is greater than $1,000.00, it is highly recommended that you meet with Andrea Le in advance of submitting a proposal. No award will be granted in excess of $2,000.00.
- Once granted an award, event leaders and organizers must attend a student training session with Alex Galindo (Andres_Galindo@gse.harvard.edu) on HGSE Fiscal and Event Planning before initiating the planning process.
- All funded activities must conclude no later than April 30th. Receipts for reimbursements and financial requests must also be turned in to the Office of Student Affairs by this date, with accompanying paperwork.
For more information contact email@example.com or call 617-495-1457.